Prior to 1982, Sacramento had an Indian Motorcycle Club, known as the Fort Sutter Motorcycle Club, which was founded in 1932, but disbanded in 1972. Several of these members later became the founding members of the Fort Sutter Chapter.
The photos below are part of Fort Sutter Chapter archives. The group welcomes submission of other historic photos or memorabilia, or stories about motorcycling in earlier days.
Contact: Chapter Board members.
|The first Fort Sutter Chapter activity in June 1982 was documented in this printed “newsletter”.|
|Al Lauer was one of the Chapter’s founding members. The old photo shows him on his OHV Excelsior Super X Hill Climber in front of Al’s Indian Shop on J Street in Sacramento, CA. Member George Hass is the proud owner of the motorcycle today.|
|Armando Magri was another Chapter founder. This photo of him was taken at Lodi Stadium.|
|Francis “Shorty” Thompkins|
|Jack Gormley was a founding Chapter member .The motorcycle is a Crocker.|
|Ed “Spider” Hawtrey was a founding member. This photo is from a Colfax Climb, a Chapter event.|
|The old poster below advertised a Fort Sutter Motorcycle Club event. This early group was the forerunner to today’s Chapter.|